Change is the only constant for world. But for Congress ‘winnability' has become constant. The party had said that the only criterion for selecting candidates would be winnability and in first three lists of 95, Congress found winnability only in their existing 77 MLAs and few losing candidates of last elections.
The line up no fresh blood and the complete war would be on the shoulders of old war horses. In the remaining lists also the party is not going to bring out any revolutionary names.
However just to add freshness, Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot has come up with new concept of giving guarantees before rolling out the party manifesto. Gehlot on Friday dishes out five new guarantees in addition to two guarantees – Rs 500-cylinder for 1.04 households and Rs 10k for woman head of poor families – he had presented in Jhunjhunu before party general secretary Priyanka Gandhi.
Gehlot guaranteed :
- to farmers to buy cowdung for Rs 2 a kg on the lines of Chhattisgarh
- to students for facilitating their education in English medium schools. No lottery system will decide their fate.
- to youth to handover a laptop or tablet to every college student at the time of admission.
- to provide insurance of Rs 15 lakh to every disaster struck family.
- to bring a law on old pension scheme for government employees.
Ram Kumar Kaushik is a seasoned journalist with over 25 years of experience across mediums. The architect of this news website, he is also a consultant with several media groups. He was formerly the group managing editor of ITV Network (NewsX, India News and The Sunday Guardian) and its digital products.