Diya Kumari, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Member of Parliament representing Rajasamand, and currently a candidate in the assembly polls from Vidyadhar Nagar constituency in Jaipur, has directed a series of pointed questions at Priyanka Gandhi, the Congress General Secretary, regarding women's security and law & order issues in Rajasthan.
Taking a dig at Priyanka Gandhi's election campaign rally in Dausa today, Diya Kumari raised concerns about her frequent visits to the state for leisure but not for the welfare of its daughters. She questioned why Priyanka had not visited Rajasthan to assess the disturbing environment for women during her party's rule.
Diya's questions revolved around incidents of violence against women and the Congress government's perceived inaction. She asked why Priyanka Gandhi had not spoken out against these atrocities. The questions included:
- In Kotda, Bhilwara, a heinous act of violence was committed against a young girl, and she was brutally murdered. Where were you when this incident occurred?
- In Dhariyawad, Pratapgarh, a tribal girl was subjected to a horrific assault, and the authorities maintained silence. Why did your voice remain unheard at that time?
- In Bauli, Sawai Madhopur, a woman was raped and thrown into a well. Why did your silence prevail in the face of this appalling crime?
- In Nadoti, Karauli, a Dalit girl was sexually assaulted, and acid was thrown at her before she was thrown into a well. Even then, why did your conscience not compel you to speak out?
- In Jamwaramgarh, Jaipur, a transgender individual had petrol poured on their face and was set on fire. Why did the cries of this victim not reach your ears?
While Priyanka Gandhi is in Dausa, Rajasthan, to strengthen Ashok Gehlot's campaign for the Eastern Rajasthan Canal Project's national project status, Diya Kumari's questions shed light on the pressing issue of women's safety in the state and demand answers from the Congress leader regarding the party's governance in this matter.
The BuckStopper, run by a group of seasoned journalists, holds the powerful accountable. The buck stops with them, as they cannot shrug off their official responsibilities.